Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Downsizing - The Beginning

    Ever since I had the opportunity to travel across-country as a young child, I have had a passion for the freedom and unique living that RV'ing provides. When I was nine, I travelled with my grandparents to Alaska and back. Our "rig" then was a 1995 Ford F150 SINGLE-CAB with a Palomino pop-up truck camper. The camper had no air conditioning, a small fridge and cooktop, and no bathroom. My bed was the dinette folded-down. We travelled over 10,000 miles in 5 weeks. I sat in the middle of the bench seat of the single-cab pickup for every mile.  Some people would call it miserable; I thought it was the highlight of my childhood.

When I was 14, they decided to make the trip again, this time with my Great Aunt coming along. The rig was bigger now - a 1997 Dodge 1500 extended-cab, and a mid-90's Wilderness 27' 5th wheel (no slides).  Again, we travelled about the same amount of miles in the same time period. Alaska was still the primary destination, but the route to and from was a bit different. It only engrained in me more a desire to travel and see the country.  Some people desire to travel the world; but I know I could spend my life seeing all that the USA has to offer and still never see it all. The diversity of this country is incredible.


Fast-forward to 2014 - I'm 29, have a beautiful family, a steady job, and a load of responsibility.  My wife and I took a 2-week road trip in 2012, which is when I started the Facebook Page "Phillips Expedition".  I gained several followers from the online RV community, and it was then that I realized just what a large community it is. There are many websites and countless blogs online of families who have abandoned the typical "American Dream " (i.e. 9-5 job, mortgage, property, yearly vacation, organized and predictable schedule, etc) and left it all behind for a life of freedom and simplicity. 

    Lora and I have talked many times about the desire to be free and travel, but that dream was always quickly snuffed out by what seemed to be reality. We had a mortgage, bills, debt, and jobs to pay for it all. That's what normal people do - they buy the nicest house that a bank says they are allowed to have via monthly payments for 30 years, and then they work constantly to pay for it. This is what I did, because it's "normal".  I remember when I bought my first home in 2007. I was determined to do it, because I knew that's what you were supposed to do. I knew that if I could handle the responsibility of a mortgage payment, then I was officially an adult and could support myself and a family.  If I knew then what I know now, I would have never went down that road.   I didn't want to spend my life where I bought my first home, but I bought it anyway because I thought I was supposed to. I paid six years worth of taxes, mortgage insurance, homeowners insurance, and mortgage interest before I sold the home and barely paid-off what I still owed. Then we immediately bought another home in 2013; because we had a baby due soon and well....owning a home is what you're supposed to do. So, diving in again May 2013...until two weeks ago we were monthly mortgage-payment "homeowners".  

   So what changed?  I finally decided I'd had enough of working around the clock just to pay for a home that I'm never in. We realized a couple months ago that we had a garage and extra bedroom FULL of STUFF that we had packed up in May 2012 when we moved and hadn't touched in almost a year. Boxes and boxes of just stuff. No idea really what it was, but we kept it all. A large garage that i never had time to work in, because I'm always out making a living to pay for it all. 10 acres of my own, surrounded by another 80 acres of wilderness that I never had the time to explore and enjoy, because I was always out working to make enough to pay for it.  So, after much thought and prayer and consideration, we devised a plan to change our lifestyle. 

    We knew we wanted to downsize and be full-time RV'ers. We had spent so much time camping that it was just second nature to us. Living in a small camper or large home was really the same. We went camping with our daughter when she was not more than a few weeks old. Some people thought we were crazy; but a nice camper is just like what you have at home, just in a smaller space. We still had a queen bed, hot running water, A/C, and a bassinet/baby bed for Alice. She didn't notice a difference, and neither did we. When we were gone for days at a time, we didn't miss the large home or the rooms full of stuff we left behind. This was our (or at least my) motivation and fuel to make the change. 



    Because of my line of work, it wasn't (and isn't) feasible for me to quit my job and live on the road full-time, working here and there. I have a good steady job and decent income as well as paid-for health insurance for the family, and retirement.  We decided the best way to start this would be to have a fixed “home base” so I could still work my Fire Department job. All we needed was a small piece of land with utilities. Such a place existed on my grandparent's land. It's actually where I grew up until I was about 10. There was at one time a mobile home, so the electric service, water and septic was all still intact. It had since been overgrown and used for horses, but I saw the potential.

    We began of course by talking about the plan with my grandfather (“Papaw”). He was hesitant at first, due to his concern that we wouldn't actually be happy living in such a small space with a baby. However, he saw that we were very serious and had made the decision to pursue this life. He then was willing and happy to have us living close by. After his blessing, we began the process of selling the house. I just knew this would take months. When we bought the home, it took several months to get financed. The realtors had it listed for over a year. It's very difficult to find a buyer and financing for a mobile home and land. However, within two weeks of listing it privately on Craigslist, I had an accepted offer and they were completing financing. Within 60 days, we closed and were mortgage-free. During that time, I worked every day and night possible getting the new home site prepared. I had to build a new fence, build a driveway, dig up the septic line, have new electric service hooked-up, build animal pens, and many other things. We also had to sell our current camper (a 2007 Keystone Outback 21RS) and find a suitable fifth-wheel that we could live in. On April 26th, 2014, it all came into place. We bought the new “home” and sold the current home all in the same weekend.


A new chapter begins...

Check out the next blog entry for many photos of the process. 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. Choose the life you want to live. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete